1. Luxembourg City
Vianden is a town on the Our River, in Luxembourg’s Ardennes region. It’s known for the centuries-old hilltop Vianden Castle. Below it, the Gothic Trinitarian Church has a 13th-century cloister. The Victor Hugo Literary Museum is in a house that hosted the writer in 1871 during his political exile from France. A chairlift climbs above the Our Valley for panoramic views. Trails include the riverside Ourdall Promenade.
Echternach is a small town with about 5000 inhabitants on the eastern border of Luxembourg, just a hop away from Germany. It’s Luxembourg’s oldest town, based on an old monastery founded in 698. It is a commune with town status in the canton of Echternach, which is part of the district of Grevenmacher, in eastern Luxembourg. Echternach lies near the border with Germany, and is the oldest town in Luxembourg.
Mullerthal is a village in the commune of Waldbillig, in eastern Luxembourg. As of 2005, the village has a population of 146. It lends its name to the alternative name of a region of eastern Luxembourg, otherwise known as Little Switzerland.
Clervaux is a commune and town in northern Luxembourg, administrative capital of the canton of Clervaux. The town’s arms, granted in 1896, show three blackbirds on a gold ground in the chief of a red shield, as a variation of the arms of the former Lords of Clervaux.
Esch-sur-Sûre is a commune and small town in north-western Luxembourg. It is part of the canton of Wiltz, which is part of the district of Diekirch. At one point it was the second smallest commune by area in Luxembourg, until Neunhausen and Heiderscheid were merged into it in 2011. As of 2005, the town of Esch-sur-Sûre, which lies in the north of the commune, has a population of 314. Esch-sur-Sûre is situated by the river Sauer, just east and downstream of the artificial Upper Sauer Lake. The town’s prominent castle, and the main part of the town below, sit on a spur of a land within a sharp meander of the river. The suffix to its name distinguishes Esch-sur-Sûre from the city of Esch-sur-Alzette, which is often known just as Esch. Immediately above the town, the river has been dammed to form a hydroelectric reservoir extending some 6 miles up the valley. The Upper Sauer dam was built in the 1960s to meet the country’s drinking water needs
Schengen is a small wine-making town and commune in far south-eastern Luxembourg, on the western bank of the river Moselle. The commune border includes the tripoint where the borders of Germany, France, and Luxembourg meet. Other villages within the commune include Remerschen and Wintrange. After the mergers with Burmerange and Wellenstein in 2011, the commune has a population of 4,223 with an area of 31.42 square kilometres. The largest settlement within the commune of Schengen is Remerschen after which the commune used to be named. The name of the commune was changed in 2006 to take advantage of the Schengen’s name recognition after the signing of the Schengen Agreement there in 1985. Schengen Castle dates from 1390 but was almost completely rebuilt in the 19th century. It is now a hotel and conference centre.
Diekirch is a commune with town status in north-eastern Luxembourg, capital city of the canton Diekirch and, until its abolition in 2015, the district of Diekirch. The town is situated on the banks of the Sauer river. The town’s heraldic shield, showing a crowned lion on a castle, was granted in 1988. It is based on the town’s 14th century seal and arms. As of 2001, the town of Diekirch itself, which lies in the south of the commune, has a population of 6,068. Diekirch was the first town in Luxembourg to have a pedestrian zone, in 1977. Diekirch is home to a brewery of national importance carrying the town’s name. Three secondary schools are located in Diekirch: Lycée classique de Diekirch, Lycée technique hôtelier Alexis Heck and Nordstadlycée. The town is home to the national operational headquarters of the Luxembourgish Army at the Haerebierg Military Centre and the National Museum of Military History, reflecting Diekirch’s pivotal role in the famous Battle of the Bulge, called by the Germans Rundstedt-Offensive, a major battle of World War II. It was here that the river Sauer was crossed on the night of January 18, 1945, by the US 5th Infantry division.
Beaufort is a commune and town in eastern Luxembourg. It is part of the canton of Echternach, which is part of the district of Grevenmacher. The old castle, protected by a moat, was built in four periods. Based on a document of 1192, it is assumed that Walter of Wiltz and Beaufort was the first Lord of Beaufort.
Remich is a commune with town status in south-eastern Luxembourg with a population of 3,645 inhabitants as of 2018. It is the capital of the canton of Remich. Remich lies on the left bank of the Moselle river, which forms part of the border between Luxembourg and Germany. The commune is the smallest in Luxembourg by surface area.
The Moselle valley is dominated by wine-making and many small wine-making towns, of which Remich is one of the most picturesque and frequented by tourists.